Ole Miss Rebels Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/15/2022 1:48 pm  #1

Losing weight - toning up

OK guys need some help - I’ve gained way too much weight since the pandemic, and it all seems to be in my mid-section (ie belly fat) —- what’s a good way to shed some of this for a guy over 40? I’m gonna get back in a gym soon but any workout regimens, etc y’all can suggest?

I want to lose around 15 lbs and get my mid section less flabby is the goal

Last edited by OneStopReb (1/15/2022 1:49 pm)

1/16/2022 11:43 am  #2

Re: Losing weight - toning up

Good luck man. I'm 6'4" and had gotten down to 202lbs towards the first of last year. Unfortunately, I quit working out this past year and when we moved, we started eating out more. I've packed on 20lbs since then. However, tomorrow starts my workout/diet schedule again.

We got out workout room set back up - exercise bike, treadmill, and a total gym knockoff bench. I'm 45, and I know it's harder to lose weight as I've gotten older, but what I did a couple years ago really helped My plan is the following:
1. Start tracking calories again. Using an app helps to keep me motivated.
2. Swap out lunch with a banana and blueberry smoothie with almond milk. Easy low calorie lunch that gives ya energy.
3. DDP Yoga every day after work. If you haven't heard of DDP Yoga before, it's not really just flat out yoga. I highly recommend checking out videos of it online. It's cardio, strength, and core workouts. The ab workout is just 20 minutes, but holy crap - it'll kick your butt.
4. Cardio work each morning or during lunch (exercise bike) along with strength training on the bench. I can get that knocked out in less than an hour. Since I work from home, this makes it fairly convenient.
5. Weight myself every morning. This is a motivator for me as well - seeing weight come off on the scale is more noticeable than being able to see daily changes in the mirror.
6. I got a Fitbit Charge 5 for Christmas. Again, another motivator.

Good luck man, and let me know what you end up doing. As we get older, it's harder to stay in shape. Hoping to get back down to around 200lbs - so dropping 20lbs is a pretty realistic goal to go with.

1/16/2022 2:14 pm  #3

It ain't easy. I am 55 and have struggled a while. I have managed to lose 30 since last January and need about 15 to 20 more gone. I don't know that there is a particular formula for anyone. You just have to find something you can stick to. I agree that tracking calories with and app and getting a fitbit or something similar to track exercise and calorie burn is good. The magic formula is burn more than you take in and you can't know that if you aren't tracking. I was really surprised at how much grazing/snacking I was actually doing when I started tracking and was able to get rid of that. Now how to tone your body I will leave to people who know more than me.

Show me someone who doesn't care if they win or lose and I will show you a loser.

1/31/2022 7:08 pm  #4

I’m 5,9 and at my heaviest about. 215 pounds.  About six years ago I download an app called MyFitnessPal. A friend and I went in together and started working out and watching what we ate. 99% of weight loss is based on diet. You can exercise all you want but you’re not going to necessarily lose weight unless you consume less calories than you burn.

In three month time I went from 215 to about 190. Over the next six months I drop down to about 160.   I got to about 150 and it was just way too thin. Right now I’ve fluctuate between about 175 and 180 which is a good weight for me

But the app basically helps you manage your calories and keep track of things like your fat and carbohydrate content of those calories. Other than a week long vacation on a cruise ship where we didn’t have Internet I have entered in my caloric intake every day for about 3000 straight days. So if you’re serious, it is helped me lose a lot of weight and maintain it for about six years now. It’s now basically a part of my routine every day

Last edited by Themob (1/31/2022 7:08 pm)

9/26/2022 9:38 am  #5

Cutting sugar does wonders for most people. After a couple of months, the weight will just fall off. Get rid of useless things like softdrinks and drink water instead. Make sure you are getting plenty of protein in your diet too. Vegetables for vitamins and meats for protein. Stay away from grain and enriched foods. Most of them are toxic to the human gut and cause inflammation.

I put my wife on a diet of bacon and eggs and she lost about 40 pounds and kept it off. Whatever you do, don't listen to MDs about diet. They have it completely backwards and there is a lot of evidence that the anti-fat diet that they have been pushing is one of the top causes of the dementia epidemic that we are in.

"We can either have a free society, or we can have a biomedical security state." - Ron DeSantis

Board footera